Session 5: QA Workflow with real AT tests
Author: Sascha Moeser
- It is sometimes hard to test, when a person e.g. developing or designing a
- new product is not comfortable with a screen reader
- What tools do others use for testing a11y?
- Where in the workflow is a11y testing/QA integrated?
- How can we approve QA for a11y?
Tools - What tools do others use for testing a11y?
- NVDA + Jaws e.g. in virtual machine
- HTML Linting
- Axe Plugin
- WAVE Plugin
- Google Lighthouse
Possible ways to get better - How can we approve QA for a11y?
- Get workshop / help from external agency
- e.g. Access for All (Switzerland)
- Make using a screen reader or other assistive technologies part of the developer onboarding
- Editors need to be aware as well to provide better content (alt texts, nonempty links, …)
- Onboarding on topic needed for editors as well
- Put it in the Definition of Done
- Be pragmatic, you canʼt reach 100%
- Do what you can, it is better than nothing
- Automation is not the solution – manual tests are always needed
- In EU, directives will be in place soon that require a11y for all websites, not only public
- European Accessibility Act
- Automation can help to a certain degree, but can not be the only way of testing