Getting everyone on board for a11y — in search for the magic trick (Meeting Room)
Author: Jan / Etherpad
How do we get everyone on the same page in regards to accessibility? What are things we can do to make sure that accessibility is a topic that gets discussed for a project?
In the discussion, these points took shape:
- Accessibility has to be made in every department and on every project
- Accessibility has to be taken into account from the start
- Top down decisions to implement accessibility does onky work up to a certain point
- Incentives to implement accessibility can be financial, tech debt
- Cultural change is the most sustainable way to get accessibility in every process
- Cutural change takes a long time and requires continuous effort
- Accessibility is best achieved when the people working with accessibility have empathy and/or can directly relate to situations/persons dealing with disabiities or impairments
Thank you all so much for discussing this with me. It was eye-opening, thought-provoking and fun.